WLIC's DNA Fair Program
Exhibitors showing at County only and/or County & Wisconsin State Fair (WSF) for DNA required:
- If your County requires and collects DNA samples, and uses WLIC for this service, these samples are still eligible for WSF. (One DNA kit per animal for both and the DNA kit needs to be submitted to WLIC to be considered eligible at the county level and WSF.)
- WLIC will share all DNA samples received with WSF for exhibitors showing at the state fair.
Exhibitors showing ONLY at WSF: Since WSF requires DNA hair samples, please contact the state fair office directly for more information.
History and Introduction
The DNA Fair Program started in 2007 as a youth outreach program. WLIC partnered with the Wisconsin State Fair and county fairs to teach youth showing livestock the technology of the new RFID tags for livestock – providing both the RFID tags and stick reader to use as part of the State Fair's weigh-in, and then as part of State Fair entry day check-in.
In 2013, WLIC added the DNA component, taking over this program from the Wisconsin State Fair. DNA hair samples provided a way to ensure the animal that exhibitors brought to the first weigh-in, was the same animal brought to show at the Wisconsin State Fair. This was especially important for the livestock auction, as the grand champions often brought in large sums of money.
As part of the youth program, and for those counties that handle the program within the county, WLIC offers discounted RFID ear tags to county fairs for beef, swine and sheep, and offers a free loan of the stick readers (needed to read the tags) if the county does not have one.
WLIC also provides the complimentary service of formatting the county fair files to load onto the stick reader, and provides training on the LightingRod and Herd Mangement software program to counties for their use during the fair check-in.
DNA/Tag Order Information
To order your DNA and ID supplies for your County Fair, please follow the steps below:
Option 1 - Submit your request onlineNote, online request form will require payment with credit/debit card using our secure e-commerce site. Once submitting the online form, please allow five to seven days for WLIC to process your request. Replacement Ear Tags cannot be ordered online.
Option 2 - Submit your request via the paper formIf you don't wish to use the online portal, please download the paper form and submit to the WLIC office as per the instructions on the form, including payment. Please note, the paper forms will take up to two weeks longer to process.
To Request a Replacement Ear Tag...
Important items to note:
- WLIC will mail DNA kits and sample vials within five to seven days after receipt and payment of order. Once you receive your kit, you must collect the DNA tissue sample per instructions.
- Please return both the DNA Documentation Form and DNA sample vial to WLIC via mail, following the instructions included in the kit.
- RFID tag-only orders will be processed and mailed within five to seven days.
- Please check with your individual county to verify participation in the DNA Program for State and County Fairs.
- All DNA received by WLIC will be stored in a secure and locked location. DNA comparisons will be requested through WLIC and WLIC will send all samples to the lab for testing.
Contact WLIC with any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org – 888.808.1910.